Wednesday 13 June 2012

theme one - portraits



Theme One - Portrait

Assignment 208 : Principles of Location Photography
Theme                   : Portrait
Title                        : Holly's make over


Intentions and purpose of the photography to be undertaken

There are a couple of reasons why I chose to undertake this project; my friend/work colleague asked if we could collaborate and take some shots for her portfolio, she recently trained as a make-up artist and needed to practise her techniques, she wanted some final images to show potential clients. 
I also want to take the opportunity to try working with a model - a new experience for me.
My intention is to create images using available light, surroundings and a model. I am not intending to capture the 'character' of the young person or to make a statement about who she is but to simply produce some photographs which show her make up and hairstyling in stylish and fashionable way. 
I also want to be able to direct the model and produce 'arty' images, ones which aren't lit with studio lighting and which allow me to enhance during post processing.
There is an argument which suggests that todays current fashion photographers consider themselves to be artists whereas early Vogue images were shot by skilled professionals who were trying to earn a living, I guess I am trying to achieve a combination of both; I want to create an artistic image but one which can be made use of by the make up stylist in her field.



Reasons for selection of theme (including inspiration from the work of others)

My reason for selecting this theme is partly because it was an opportunity which arose and seemed like a fun project to become involved in. 
Working alongside others will push my boundaries somewhat, it will be a new experience for me to direct a model and test my skills of communication in order to achieve the images I am looking for. 
I am also aware that I will need to present photographs which be suitable for my colleague to use. I understand that I will have to take responsibility for 'leading' the way and this will also present a challenge.
I have to admit that I have been a fan of "Tyra Banks - America's Next Top Model" show, which mentors young models and takes them through a series of photo shoots often using successful, experienced, high fashion photographers. Clearly the format of the show allows it use a huge budget with seemingly endless resources to create concept photography shoots for use in Vogue and worldwide advertising campaigns.  The emphasis of the show focus is on the development of the young models and how they can further their skills however there is always a glimpse of the photographer and their set up, vision and how they work, to me this is always the fascinating bit.
I saw an image by Peter Lindburgh which captured my attention. Lindburgh, whose background was painting, went on to shoot some of the most famous fashion models in the world. The image I saw in an article by Karen Lehrman was mono and looked like a negative, it was clearly taken of a fine figured woman with beautiful skin and bone structure but the face had been distorted and 'blown out'. To me this was a 'high fashion' statement by the photographer showing that the face wasn't needed to represent beauty and style. I found that inspirational.
Of course the conceptual work of Annie Leibovitz is also so impressive; having recently watched "Life through a lens" I know I have to work on "seeing" the shot in my mind before I set it up and that is the biggest challenge.

All research associated with this project can be seen on my blog here





The photo imaging equipment and medium that will be used and why

I will use two cameras, Olympus PEN E-PL2 and Olympus E620 
I will also use my tripod and a reflector umbrella.

The PEN has a 14-42mm M.Zuiko Digital lens, it is a micro four thirds camera and I use it because it is light weight, portable and I am familiar with the settings. I will also use this camera/lens to produce shots with a wider aspect.

I am most comfortable with my Olympus E620 which has a 40-150mm zoom lens. It is bigger of course but I have been using it for a lot longer and I feel I know this camera better.

Both cameras have a range of built in 'ART' features, settings on the camera which produce a variety of different effects. I often use these settings in particular a grainy black and white filter however these settings don't allow for much post processing and if I have taken a shot in grainy black and white for example I will be unable to reproduce it in colour. For this reason I will limit the times when I use this facility.
I intend to shoot in RAW and load the images on to my MAC.
I will use Aperture to adjust contrast, saturation, brightness and levels etc and I will also use Nik softwear - Color Efex 4 and Silver Efexs post processing. I am not too familiar with these editing programmes so will be using the preset filters.



Techniques that will be used and how they will help convey the visual message

I will mostly shoot in aperture priority mode to create a sense of depth, but I also intend to adjust the shutter priority and I'll use the manual settings. I will use the zoom lens to capture close detail but will also use a wide angled lens to create a more full image.
I intend to move around the subject too taking images from a variety of different aspects i.e from above and below eye line.
I will shoot in RAW to allow more scope with post processing and will shoot in both mono and colour.
i will use my tripod to achieve clear sharp images but will also avoid the tripod even in low light condition to create an artistic blur.


How light quality can be used to help convey the visual message

The lighting in the spaces used is mostly bright strip fluorescent bulbs reflected onto white/bright walls. This doesn't allow for much variation but I will adjust the camera settings including the white balance to create different effects. 
The Olympus Epl2 has an in camera art filter which accentuates shadow or highlights resulting in some dramatic tones. I will use this to it's full advantage and placed the model directly under a light in the corridor with the intention of allowing shadow to cast over her face and around her body, creating quite an effective look. I will also use it to blow out some of her features and focus just on the eyes.
Having done some preparation before hand I was aware that the lights and reflection from the metal surface in the lift was an area I wanted to work. I was hoping it would provide an infinity effect by placing the model centrally the lights would appear to create more depth. the model was also reflected in the walls inside the space.
Both shoots will take place at the end of January beginning of February and there will be very little natural light through the windows from outside but this should allow me to use the large windows to full effect as they will provided a black background.
Often the light quality was in the building is harsh but poor, slowing the shutter speed and although this creates a blur effect with some of the images which I was happy with, I was also aware that this did not produce shots with the quality required by the make up artist. I will use the inbuilt flash on a number of shots as well as the reflector umbrella to produce a more crisp image.


Safety considerations

The photo shoots are arranged to take place after working hours in an NHS public building (my work place). The reason for this is convenience, the make-up artist is a work colleague and the model is the daughter of another work colleague. The model is also school aged and so her availability will be outside school hours.
There are a variety of safety considerations to take into account. I need permission from the centre manager to take photos on two floors of the building, the corridor, stairs and in the lift, with the understanding that we would not disturb any clinic sessions which might be taking place. We are able to choose an evening where there was very few staff/public around. 
I will also speak to the cleaning manager to ensure we don't disrupt her workers either and again choose a time when they are working elsewhere. This means we aren't working on slippery, freshly mopped floors.
I will take shots in the corridor and in an empty waiting area. I had to move some chairs around in the waiting area to position my tripod but they were easy enough and light-weight.
I have already identified the lift as an interesting space, with bold lighting and reflections and interesting frame. With my colleague we will undertake a trial run to identify any pit falls which might arise including where I should position the camera for best effect. 
I need to be aware of the door release button for the lift. It is unlikely that I will get permission to force the lift doors and must find a way of keeping them open long enough to achieve the shots I need. This could mean I am limited in terms of the shape and where to position the model but for her safety it is important we don't jam or break the lift doors. On reflection i might have asked for the centre manager to make the doors stay open for half an hour so i could have made maximum use of the lift interior but i had agreed to minimum disruption of the building.
I also want to use the model on the stairs and she is wearing very high 'killer' heels, I will encourage her to be cautious when using the stairs and only made her stand on the floor and sit on the steps, this would limit the likelihood of a fall if she became distracted.
The model is just 15yrs old and although I have permission from her parents to undertake the photo shoot I will encourage them to look at a model release form. (see research) We will discuss it's contents and it's my intention for Holly (model) and her parents to look at the images first and agree on any they don't like or don't feel are suitable. 
Both myself and the make-up artist work with vulnerable young people and we give careful consideration to the potential exploitation of young models and are conscious that we do not want to portray our model as overtly sexual or too mature, nor in any way which could be perceived as inappropriate. 
The make over is likely to make Holly look much older than her real age which we can't avoid but we are clear that we don't want to manipulate that any further.  














No comments:

Post a Comment